LADERAS de Ostatu 2014
The highest vineyard. Made with Tempranillo and Viura from "El Portillo", planted at 630m of altitude. A facing south slope protected by small foothills of the Cantabria mountain range. A wine where the uniqueness of a high and advanced age’s terroir is expressed, each vintage, with a delicate floral character.
Wine-maker: Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego
Vineyard management: Ernesto Sáenz de Samaniego/ Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego
Region: D.O.C Rioja, Sub-zone Rioja Alavesa.
Vintage Classification: Good
Market release: December 2018
Vineyards and terrain:
The grapes come from our"Portillo" plot, at an average altitude of 620 m above sea level. Mainly calcareous/clay, except the westernmost part of the plot which is predominantly stony.The subsoil is made up of various layers of white rock. The plot is uneven and south facing, sheltered by small hillocks that surround it.
- Mediterranean climate with strong Atlantic influence.
- Extreme winter-summer contrast.
- Precipitation: 565,6 litres.
- Ave. Soil Temp.: 14,7ºC
- Ave.Temp: min. 11,1ºC, max 22,2ºC, average 12,8ºC.
- 97% Tempranillo and 3% Viura.
- Vine planted in 1967 (50 years old).
- Plantation density: 3.000 Vines/Hectare.
- Goblet pruning
- Production: 4.580 Kg. /Hectare
- Hand harvested in 15 Kg boxes, on 6th October.
- Vineyard grape selection, only the best grapes are taken to the winery. Light destemming process to avoid damaging the grapes. Pre-fermentation cold maceration. Alcoholic fermentation in a wooden vat for 19 days at a maximum temperature of 25°C. Malolactic fermentation in new French oak casks (two of 500 li-tres capacity, and 4 of 225 litres). 14 months cask ageing. This wine does not undergo any stabilisation or filtering process.
- Bottled on March 2016
- Alcohol: 14,95%
- Total Acidity: 4,70 gr/l
- Volatile Acidity: 0,59 gr/l
- Total SO2: 41mg/l
- Production: 3.600 bottles 75 cl.