Ostatu Blanco Gran Reserva 2013
Know-how. White young wine made from Viura and Malvasía grapes which come from old vineyards (between 30 and 80 years old). A fresh and fruity wine with a noticiable personality.
Wine-maker: Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego
Vineyard management: Ernesto Sáenz de Samaniego/ Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego
Region: D.O.C Rioja, Sub-zone Rioja Alavesa.
Vintage Classification: Excellent
Market release: Noviembre 2017
Vineyards and terrain:
The grapes come from our vineyard “El Rincón” located on small south facing slope, ready to take the morning sun, at an average altitude of 600m above the see level. Poor clay soil, very poor. The subsoil is made up of various layers of earth and white rock.
- Mediterranean climate with strong Atlantic influence.
- Extreme winter-summer contrast.
- Ave. Temp.:min 6,9°C / max 17,4°C / average 11,6°C.
- Precipitation: 441,7 litres.
- Humidity average: 71%
- 85% tempranilloy 15% graciano
- “El Rincón” vineyard, planted in 1945
- Plantation density:3,000 vines/hectare.
- Goblet pruning.
- Production: 1,5 Kg/hectare.
- Hand harvested in 15 Kg boxes, on 11th October
- Vineyard grape selection, only the best grapes are taken to the winery. Light destemming process to avoid damaging the grapes, without wringing out.
- Pre-fermentation cold maceration. Alcoholic fermentation in small capacity vats for 21 days at a maximum temperature of 28°C. Reworking and breaking up the cap as appropriate during the fermentation.
- Malolactic fermentation in new French oak casks. The wine is aged for almost 24 months in 50% new and 50% for the 1st and 2nd year French oak cask. After that, the wine goes to a wooden vat for extra 5 months ageing. This wine does not undergo any stabilisation process.
- Bottled: September 2014.
- Alcohol 14,60 %
- Total Acidity 4,97 gr/l.
- PH 3.68
- Volatile Acidity 0.57 gr/l.
- 4.200 bottles (75cl)