Selección de Ostatu 2014
The most airy vineyard. Tempranillo and Graciano from a vineyard of more than 50 years located in the eastern part of Samaniego, as "Montecillo", where the wind has a higher impact. 14 months just aging in the barrel and 20 more polishing in a bottle give us a wine characterized by its freshness and personality.
Wine-maker: Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego
Vineyard management: Ernesto Sáenz de Samaniego/ Iñigo Sáenz de Samaniego
Region: D.O.C Rioja, Sub-zone Rioja Alavesa.
Vintage Classification: Good
Market release: February 2017
Vineyards and terrain:
The grapes come from some of our oldest vineyards, in the districts of Samaniego, Leza, and Laguardia, at an average altitude of 580 m above sea level. Poor calcareous/clay and Stony soils, on south facing slopes. The subsoil is made up of various layers of white rock
- Mediterranean climate with strong Atlantic influence.
- Extreme winte- summer contrast.
- Precipitation: 441,7 litres.
- Ave. Temp.:min 6,9°C / max 17,4°C / average 11,6°C.
- Days of rain: 97
- Ave. Humidity: 71%
- 95% Tempranillo, 5% Graciano
- Age of vines: Over 50 years old.
- Plantation density: 3.000 vines/hectare. Goblet pruning.
- Production: 5.000 Kg/hectare.
- Hand harvested in 15 Kg boxes, between 8th- 11th October.
- Vineyard grape selection, only the best grapes are taken to the winery. Light destemming process to avoid damaging the grapes. Pre-fermentation cold maceration. Alcoholic fermentation in small capacity vats for 16 days at a maximum temperature of 28°C. Reworking and breaking up the cap as appropriate during the fermentation. 100% malolactic fermentation in new French oak casks. 14 months cask ageing. This wine does not undergo any stabilisation process.
- Bottled: July 2015
- Alcohol: 14,45 %
- Total Acidity 4,84 gr/l.
- PH: 3.77
- Volatile Acidity 0.47 gr/l
- 20,533 bottles ( 75 cl)
- 756 magnum (150 cl)